In a day when many names have associated baggage or have been compromised and watered down, some might ask, "Why do you call yourself Baptists?" We are the first to admit that being Baptist does not save anyone, and neither is it true that only Baptists will go to heaven. Only those who trust Christ as Savior will be saved regardless of church affiliation.
However, historical Baptists have held various distinctives that we also hold, and thus, we are Baptist by conviction. Among these distinctives are those simply remembered using the acrostic "BAPTISTS".
orn again, baptized church membership
utonomy of the local church
riesthood of the believer
wo Scriptural church officers (pastor and deacons)
nspired Scriptures as the only authority for faith and practice
eparation (personal, ecclesiastical, and of church and state)
wo Scriptural church ordinances (Baptism and the Lordís Supper)
ecurity of the believer forever
1. We believe that the Bible is, and should be, the only rule of faith and practice for the church. Neither tradition, opinion, ritual, speaking in tongues, direct revelation, nor human reasonings should be placed on a par equivalent to the Bible as the final authority for man upon earth.
2. We believe that only saved people should be members of the church. (Acts 2:41-42)
3. We believe that each person will stand before God individually and give an account for their own belief and actions. Because of this, we do not believe that any church, government, or power has the right before God to compel a person to believe something against their conscience.
4. We believe in separation of church and state, i.e. the state has no right before God to compel people to follow a designated state religion. We do believe it is the responsibility of churches and believers to influence the nation by their lives, voting, and witnessing, but not by taking control of the government in the name of the church.
5. We believe that there are two ordinances commanded in the New Testament for churches to follow: baptism by immersion after salvation and regular observance of the Lord's supper to remember His death until He comes again.
Having stated these positions, we believe that balance and love should permeate all that we do. Jesus held the truth with love and that is our desire also.